Saturday, November 15, 2014

Top 50 Anime OP's Part 1


Glossary:
OP-The opening song played at the beginning of an anime episode, which duration is usually 90 seconds.
Ed: Yeah same thing, only this song is played at the end of an episode and can be longer.
OST: The Original Soundtrack of an anime series.

OK, I swear this is the last list of anime OP's I'll make for a while. You'd think after two separate lists taking up three blog posts that I'd finally be done listing off my favorite OP's, but then one would be wrong. The biggest thing I realized after making parts 1 and 2 of my Top Ten Anime OP's countdown and my Top Five Other Anime OP's list was that I didn't possibly have enough space to fit all the OP's I wanted into one list and still keep it a reasonable length. My solution? Make one unreasonably long blog post, packed to the brim with all the OP's I could possibly want to mention. To lay down a few ground rules, the anime OP's I still consider the best are going to stay in the two previous lists, and are not going to be mentioned in this one. Also, these OP's here are going to range from some I think are really good, to OP's I simply forgot about before, to OP's that are really catchy, because the real purpose of this list is to get a vast different amount of anime titles, titles I usually wouldn't mention out for you to discover. So, if you see an opening you think looks cool, feel free to check out the show it belongs to. To keep this under about a year of reading, the depictions under the videos are going to be quick and to the point, and also, the usual one-per-franchise rule doesn't apply here, because I think that would just be restricting my choices here. So, without further ado, get ready for the first part of one very long post, it'll be awhile before we get to the end of it. OK, let's go. 

1# - "Jiyuu no Tsubasa" from Attack on Titan


Artist(s): Linked Horizon and Revo

OK, so obviously the first OP of this anime is gaining legendary status, but since I've already mentioned it in a previous list, I turn to this second opening. And for an action-packed show like AoT, I'd say this OP nails it in pace and getting you hyped for the show to come. Well, not as much as the first OP, but whatever.

2# - "Silky Heart" from Toradora!


Artist(s): Miki Fijisue, Yui Horie and Keita Kawaguchi

I can't tell you how much this anime grew on me in its second half, and I think this delightful opening has much to do with that. The chorus is just so damn catchy, it fits the tone of the second half of the show perfectly, and combined with the awesome visuals that flow well with the song and majorly foreshadow the ending of the anime; well I guess it just helped me appreciate just how good Toradora! was. Well, for the most part. And no, I don't understand why everyone likes the first opening more. 


3# -  "[No pain, No game]" from Btooom!


Artist(s): Nano

For a show like Btooom, even the name should let you know just what kind of anime you're getting into: action, explosions, and more action. But while this OP does serve to get you pumped for said explosions, I actually think it holds quite nicely on its own as a song. Except for the rap part... just why? 


4# - "Koko" from Kyousougiga


Artist(s): Tamurapan

Much like the show it belongs to, this is just the kind of opening that makes me smile. I actually haven't finished Kyousougiga yet, but what with this OP's awesome visuals, and the actual quality of the show, it is already becoming one of my new favorites. And if you can, catch the full song, it's even better. 


5# - "Beyond the Boundary" from Kyoukai no Kanata 
Artist(s): Minori Chihara, Aki Hata and Daisuke Shimokawa

Kyoto Animation has always been good with their openings(lets just say it won't be the first time you see one by them on this list), and this one is no exception. Gorgeous visuals, that one part at the 53rd second that makes me throw my hands in the air(like I just don't care), and really, just a song that can be listened to on its own. Even if the show wasn't the best ever, this opening is fantastic. 


6# - "Goya no Machiawase" from Noragami 


Artist(s): Hello Sleepwalkers

Let's face it, Noragami is an average show, but this opening is nothing but. Giving off both a sense of style and adrenalin, this OP showcases both the supernatural aspect of the show, the awesome animation and aesthetic, and is just...so....catchy. 

  
7# - "Database" from Log Horizon


Artist(s): Man with a Mission and Takuma

Firstly, this was only an honorable mention in my previous list so I can put it on this one, and secondly, this OP is the perfect example of how much an opening can grow on you. When I first heard this song, I hated it, but somehow over time, as this song basically took over the concept that is Log Horizon's fan base, I somehow ended up singing it along with everyone else. Thank you Studio Deen for keeping it for the second season, my respect for you has moved up slightly. 


8# - "The Everlasting Guilty Crown" from Guilty Crown


Artist(s): EGOIST

If you know me or if you've seen my first OP countdowns, you know just how much I adore Guilty Crown's first OP: "My Dearest", and you can imagine how devastated I was when they replaced it. But admittedly, said replacement is also kind of amazing in it's own right, and no surprise either, because I don't think it's an understatement to say that Guilty Crown's OST is one of the best of all time. Oh, don't mistake me, the show itself is still kind of atrocious. 

9# - "Ambiguous" from Kill la Kill

Artist(s): GARNiDELiA

This one is a little tragic. As many problems as I have with Kill la Kill as show, this opening is awesome, and it's a shame the copyright anvil has fallen on any version of the OP on Youtube, so as you can see, I've needed to find it on other sites. If the copyright do track down this version and remove however, you can view the original music video by GARNiDELiA here


10# - "Colors" from Code Geass


Artist(s): FLOW

Can you say landmark? Code Geass has kept making waves in the anime community ever since it was first introduced over 5 years ago, and the OP might just be a part of that. Seriously, all you need to hear is the "JIBU WOOOO!" to instantly know what show it belongs to, and that is awesome. 


11# - "Again" from Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood


OK, no, I somehow haven't gotten around to watching this show yet, even though every person who has ever seen the show seems to think it be the best anime evar. However I did see the original Fullmetal Alchemist, and that's all I need to know just how well this OP fits the series. It draws you in with slow pace, and then accelerates into epicness, strangely being calming and fast-paced at the same time. There's not really another OP like it. 


12# - "Naraku no Hana" from Higurashi no naku koro ni kai
Artist(s): Eiko Shimamiya

As I keep telling myself, I do intend to review Kai on a later date, and no matter what I say there, there can be no denying that Naraku no Hana is a beautiful song. Arguably, Higurashi first opening works better as such, and even I can't include it anyway because it is already on my original lists, I would still argue that this OP is just better as a song. It fits the desperate tone of the anime perfectly, and the chorus accompanied with the lyrics, as well as the brilliant foreshadowing and symbolism, is enough to sell me on it. Plus, that image of Rika running across the water is just so iconic to me.  



13# - "Destin Histoire" from Gosick


Artist(s): Shiori Watanabe, Gou Sakabe and yoshiki*lisa

The reason why this OP works for me so much, I think, isn't so much the great song that accompanies it, but the style they went for. Fitting in with the anime's theme of mystery and fairy tales, everything in this OP looks like it has been torn straight out of a children's book, and the cool designs and great foreshadowing helps it out as well. I just wish the anime had been able to hold up to this OP's quality. 


14# - "God Only Knows" from The World God Only Knows
Artist(s): Oratorio

There's something to be said for just making an OP look and sound cool, and this OP gets it done almost better than any other I know. The lyrics are uniquely sung(even if it is just Engrish), the visuals are captivating, and it sets the tone fairly well I think for a show that never sought to aim very high. Not the best of the three OPs this anime provided us with, but well worth the mention. 


15# - "Light My Fire" from Shakugan no Shana III

Artist(s): Supercell and KOTOKO

Me and the Shakugan no Shana franchise haven't always been on the best of terms, particularly after the lackluster second season. But I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I am hyped for the concluding season, even if I haven't watched it yet, because this OP promises it is going to be amazing. Admittedly, I just love that part at the very beginning of the song, but the rest holds up as a great action song, with visuals that promise a much darker show than the previous two season, so yes, I am hyped for Shakugan no Shana III. Let's hope I don't regret that. 

See you all in Part 2. Goodbye for now guys. 



My Top Five Wishlist Anime Countdown is here

My anime review of Mirai Nikki is located here

Or alternatively, my video-game review of Thomas Was Alone is here

And if you're up to it, follow me on Hummingbird or Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment