Saturday, June 28, 2014

Top 10 Anime OP's Part 1


Glossary:
OP-The opening song played at the beginning of an anime episode, which duration is usually 90 seconds.
Ed: Yeah same thing, only this song is played at the end of an episode and can be longer.
OST: The Original Soundtrack of an anime series. 

Hello good people of "The Wired", and I hope you've been having a lovely morning. I just  thought that I wanted a little more variety in my blog before I post another review, and since the big blue line of text up there in the corner of your screen; also known as my blog's title, says "Reviews, Reactions, and Countdowns, I though it was time to start keeping my word. Today, I'll be counting down my picks for the best anime OP's that have ever graced our ears in their glory, and please, if your favorite didn't make the list, please post it in the comment section below, I'm always looking for more good music. Now, unlike some other countdowns I intend to do later, these entries will not be ranked be quality, thus making 3# no better then 7#. The reason for this is that I view all these songs as somewhat equal, cause even I don't have enough nitpicks to separate these songs apart. And now with that out of the way, let's get started. But first, time to name some honorable mentions. 

Honorable Mention 1#
"Database" by A Man with a Mission[featuring Takuma)
from: Log Horizon

I'm going to be honest, I absolutely despised this opening when I first heard it. I thought it did the show it was introducing no credit all. Log Horizon is a relatively intelligent and intruging series, and they decide to open it with a rock tune? But...as I continued to watch the series, this opening really began to grow on me, and it's just so damn catchy. Unfortunately, catchy is pretty much all is has going for it, thus only grasping an honorable mention. 

Honorable Mention 2#
"Naraku no Hana" by Eiko Shimamiya
from: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai

Contrary to "Database", I actually loved this opening right off the bat. While I have had some problems with the "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni" sequel "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai", this song really captures the frantic nature of the whole show, as well as has some excellent symbolism and out-of-context foreshadowing for the season. But if I'm honest with myself, I only really like the part around 0:40, so it couldn't quite make the list. Apologies for the Spanish lyrics by the way, but this is the highest quality version I could find. Listen to the much better full version here. Now with those honorable mentions out the way, let's get onto the list...

10#
"Sorairo Days" by Shogo Nakagawa
from: Tengen Toppen Gurren Lagann

This opening is actually pretty distinctive and popular, but I don't believe that's not for good reason. It's just so...Gurren Lagann, whatever on earth that's supposed to mean. Point is, it did its job of pumping you up for the show beautifully, and was so good that it stayed around for all 27 episodes of the anime, not opting like some other shows to switch out a great opening for a mediocre one halfway through the series. Don't worry, that'll come up later in the list. 

9#
"Toki wo Kazumi Uta" by Key Sounds Label[vocals by Lia]
from: Clannad After Story

I don't know what more I can say about Clannad After Story that hasn't already been said, besides it is simply the greatest romance anime I ever ever watched and I would rattle on about for a couple more paragraphs, but I'm here to talk about this wonderful OP. I like how this song seems to capture the emotional weight of the anime(those who have watched know what I mean), like this song  could be heart-warming happy or soul-crushingly sad, something that completely represents the show its introducing. Also, the animation is like...wow. 

8#
"Guns and Roses" by Paradise Lunch
from: Baccano!

Again I don't want to talk about the show too much...but I will. Baccano! is undoubtedly my favorite anime of all time, and this OP full of explosions, characters and jazz encapsulate the chaos and fun of the show. Its even nice enough to provide you with the names of all the main characters, which is nice, since there's enough characters in this anime to populate some European nations. Get full version here

7#  
"Out of Control" by Nothing's Carved in Stone
from: Psycho-Pass

Psycho-Pass as a show drew a lot of mixed feeling from me, but let's just say this OP became the best part of the show later on. While I liked the show's first OP a lot as well, these lyrics are so addicting with the English, and the art stylish, heavily contrasting black and white to play to the show's themes of morality. Plus, it's just a really cool opening to watch, heavily stylized...with pink smoke...for some reason. 


#6
"Complication" by ROOKIEZ is PUNK'D
from: Durarara!!

Putting aside what the hell a Durarara is supposed to be, I love this opening for several reason.. Firstly, I think it's one of those rare gems, since a lot of people seem to favor the first OP of Durarara!! Secondly... well I don't know. I can't quite put my finger on why I like it so much, but check out the English lyrics when you have time. They're actually quite awesome. 

Well guys, that brings an end to the first part of this list, and I do intend to put out the final five songs after doing a review or two. Hope you guys liked these songs as much as I did, or else this list would be pretty awkward. By the way, I know I said these aren't ranked by quality, but I do intend 1# to be something I hold in extremely high regard. Goodbye for now guys. 

Follow me on Hummingbird:

No comments:

Post a Comment