Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Top 5 Wishlist Anime


All in all, its been a good few months of new anime for me. Anime I expected to be good met those expectations, and anime I didn't expect much from managed to pleasantly surprise me. But best of all, even as recent as the last couple of weeks, sequels to some of my favorite anime have been announced all of the place. Durarara! unexpectedly is getting a new season, as well as My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (click here for my review on SNAFU), which I'm really stoked for, and Studio W.I.T finally got around to officially announcing the second season of Attack on Titan, much to the surprise of absolutely nobody. That's not all though, because it seems like the Summer/Fall seasons will be yielding a bunch of great new stuff as well, like Aldnoah.Zero, the new Fate/stay night anime produced by ufotable, and so I'm told, Zankyou no Terror has been pretty much meeting all expectations people have had for it. But with all this promising stuff being released, it digs up old memories of anime that no matter how much I may wish it, don't seem to be getting their concluding season any time soon. And it's very, very painful. 
     Hello people of "The Wired", my name is Quan, and today we will be looking at my Top Five Wishlist Anime, those fantastic shows that either ended abruptly, didn't have a proper or satisfying finale, or set up a second season that just hasn't happened. To qualify for the list, these anime need to have an inconclusive ending; have many questions unanswered, so anime that I'd like a second season of but have concluded their respective stories(like Golden Time or Mekaku City Actors), don't qualify for the list. Okay, with all that out of the way now, let's get started with this countdown. 


     

5. Black Lagoon: The Third Barrage
black lagoon revy selective coloring HD Wallpaper
I'm going to be the first to admit it, Black Lagoon isn't the greatest anime out there. But the point is, all I remember while viewing it was watching things explode across my screen, awesome action, curse words being spat out by the characters every few seconds, and having the most fun I've had with an anime in awhile. For two seasons, Black Lagoon carried out its duty of being a immensely entertaining action show, yes a show without any truly great characters or plot-lines, but for what it was, it was enough for me. Now, it did start to lose some steam in the latter part of the second season, but I think that was due more to the nature of that arc than the show actually getting worse.
     Unfortunately, it might be awhile before season 3 happens, if ever. The manga the anime was adapted from was been on hiatus for a very long time, and years have passed between volumes. I know the producers of the anime Studio Madhouse are very eager to continue with the show, even going as far as to release a five episode OVA series in 2010, but the fact remains unless they are willing to do an "anime only ending"(which considering Madhouse's standards when adapting manga seems very unlikely), we may never see more adventures with Remy, Rock, and the rest of Lagoon, which is very depressing for me.

4. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - The Animation
monokuma wallpaper,
OK, I know I'm basically alone on this. No matter how I try to argue, I know in my heart that the first season of Danganronpa, from all critical viewpoints, was a very bad anime. The characters were one-dimensional, the story was bizarre and nonsensical, and the anime made the normally sad notion of the death of a highschool student almost cartoonish because of the strange decision to color their blood pink. Pink. But I don't know, I just really liked it for some reason, flaws and all, and it still stands as one of the few bad anime I really like. It might be because I was watching it at the same time as Serial Experiments Lain(which I ended up putting on hold), so I guess it was nice to go into an anime with the mindset: "Brain? What is that? I just want to watch anime." 
     Regardless of whether Danganronpa was simply at the right place at the right time, you'd think considering how the anime ended, it would be completely done with the story, but it turns out there's a sequel to the game the anime was adapted from, out right now. I don't know why there's a sequel, but it's there, I want to see it, and all producers Geneon need to do now is animate it. Best of all, it's likely to happen, because no matter how poor the anime was in adapting it, the game it was based off of was actually pretty damn good and very popular, even getting an American dubbed version released in the U.S. So the money is there, and the material is there, all that needs to happen now is an official announcement. 

3. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 3
Yeah, this one is to be expected, because I don't know if I've met anybody who didn't at least get some enjoyment out of the Haruhi franchise, and it's common hope that a third season is on its way. Truth be told, after Endless Eight, I'm not sure if I would have liked more Haruhi, but then that movie happened, and pretty much everything changed forever. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya was so completely out of left field for me in just how legitimately good it was, far from the fun and bouncy nature of the series, that I would gladly pay for more material in the coming years. Still, the movie left so many questions that I need to have answered, as well as left me with a whole new perception on the series as a whole, so not continuing the franchise now would be very heart-breaking. Now, I haven't done as much research as I probably should have on the state of the light-novels the anime is based on, but to my knowledge, while it is in sort of a fluctuation right now, there is plenty more stories Kyoto Animation can adapt, and due to popular demand, probably should at this point. 
     Burt allow me to be a bit of a hypocrite right now. While yes, as I've stated that the movie left many unanswered questions, and that I would be delighted to hear a third season is on its way, I need to say this one thing. As it stands, if Kyoto Animation decided to pull the plug and end the franchise where it is...I would be OK with that. Despite not tying up all loose ends, the movie left me with a very nice feeling of satisfaction and closure, and if the Haruhi decided to end there, I would have no complaints. That doesn't mean I'm not still holding out for the third season announcement, but if it never came, I wouldn't throw myself off a building in despair if you know what I mean. 

2. The World God Only Knows Season 4
I just noticed that all of these pictures so far have just been one character alone striking a pose.
This is one series I would not have been begging for more after the first two seasons. "God Knows" was a fun show with a semi-original concept and a great protagonist, but after the lackluster second season, I was quite ready to be done with it. So imagine my complete bewilderment when I discovered that the third season of The World God Only Knows: Goddesses, was an emotional punch-in-the-gut that I was completely unprepared for. Not only that, it featured awesome character development for the main character Keima, introduced a half-decent plot, and had an actually fantastic ending that I rank as one of my favorites. True, it may have been only slightly above average till that point, but it still pretty much sold the series for me. I don't know if you're willing to trudge through two fun, but average seasons to get to that point, but they are at the very least necessary. What I do know, is that with that ending, I won't be able to stand it if they just end it there, so please, for the sake of my well-being, get on that Studio Manglobe.
     Now, the manga did recently finish its run in April of this year, so it might be not worth it for Manglobe to adapt a manga into anime format when said manga is finished. This is especially true when to knowledge, the latest season of "God Knows" didn't sell  as well as the studio may have hoped, so when all is said and done, a fourth season is looking dishearteningly unlikely. 

1. Spice and Wolf III
Yeah, this one cuts deep. The two seasons of Spice and Wolf gave me an experience unlike any other; a world of economics and slow but effective story-telling, that deserves much more than it has been given by most people. It also features easily my top pick for best anime couple; I'm serious guys, the chemistry between the two main characters: Holo and Lawrence, is easily enough to warrant a third season in my eyes. But the biggest reason why I just can't accept this franchise never continuing is because of the cliff-hanger ending that season two left us with, and I don't know what I'll do if this anime is never revisited. 
     Yet, here's the most frustrating part of it. The anime is really popular, and I know for a fact I'm not the only one who wants this third season to happen. It's also on the top of a lot of other people's list of anime that are M.I.A, and hell, there's even a petition online that you can sign right here that demands a third season. And unlike a lot of the other entries on this list, there's no problems with the light-novels that the anime was adapted from, actually they're finished, so it's not like there's nothing left to adapt like in the cases of Black Lagoon and Haruhi(to an extent). But for whatever reason, animation studio Brains Base have left us hanging for nearly five years. And it's the most frustrating thing ever. 
     So yeah, with all of that said, that's why why Spice and Wolf II is easily my top pick of "wishlist" anime that I've been waiting for, as I bring this countdown to a very abrupt end. Hope you enjoyed.

Goodbye for now guys.


Missed my other countdowns? Click here for My Top Ten Studio Ghibli Films.

Or here for my review on Higurashi no naku koro ni.

Follow me on Hummingbird: http://hummingbird.me/users/QReviews


No comments:

Post a Comment