Saturday, July 18, 2015

[Reaction] Selector Destructed WIXOSS


Hello, people of "The Wired", my name is Quan, I hope you've had a great day, and for the first time in quite awhile it's time for a new reaction. However, this time will be a little different, as this time, I'll be reacting to a piece of news that has been announced in the anime community, or to be more specific, the announcement of a certain movie. After two seasons of trolling and constant mindf*ckery, Selector Infected WIXOSS will be getting a theatrical addition to the franchise in the form of the movie that has now been confirmed as Selector Destructed WIXOSS.


Now, admittedly, we've known about this movie for awhile. It was announced however many months ago, but this past Friday we learned a couple of key details: namely the name and the release date, as the movie has been confirmed to air in Japan theaters during the February of 2016, which means we should expect to be watching the movie here in the West a few months after that. Now, you'd think I'd be ecstatic about this news. After all, while I haven't seen 2014's critically acclaimed tittles like Ping Pong the Animation or Barakamon, the two seasons of WIXOSS remain firmly AOTY for me, a breath of psychological fresh air in a year that was sorely lacking in titles that commanded true quality, But here's why I have more than a few doubts about this new Selector project. Selector Infected WIXOSS and Selector Spread WIXOSS formed an experience that was a lot of different things. A breath of psychological fresh air. An exciting and intense plot that emulated elements of Madoka Magica and, to some extent, Evangelion if you want to be pretentious about it(and I suppose I do). But most importantly, both seasons created a story that was, beyond a shadow of a doubt, complete. Finito. No loose ends. A worthy ending to a great anime that left me completely satisfied. And now there's going to be a continuation. For some reason. Why?
Yeah, I know Tama. The pain you suffered over two soul-crushing seasons isn't over yet. I can barely get over it myself. 
It's easy to find a parallel in Madoka Magica: Rebellion. Rebellion(regardless of my thoughts on it) was a continuation to a story that did not need one, continuing a story that was completely resolved for the sake of it. And really, that's been a worrying trend for the anime industry lately. Eureka Seven, rightfully concluded after 50 episodes, received a completely forgettable and unnecessary sequel, as did Steins;Gate, in the follow-up movie Steins;Gate: Burdened Region of Déjà vu. Higurashi no naku koro ni concluded poorly after two seasons, but at least it concluded, until the OVA Higurashi no naku koro ni Rei was released as a continuation, along with a plethora of other forgettable OVA's like the edgy Outbreak or the light and stupid Kira. Kara no Kyoukai ended in quite possibly the most satisfying fashion I've ever seen, but brilliant, in 2013 we got the epilogue movie Kara no Kyoukai: Future Gospel. ...And it's just frustrating. What's next? A sequel to Toradora? A new installment of Cowboy Bebop? The long awaited next chapter of The Tatami Galaxy?

I'm being unfair, of course. Selector Destructed WIXOSS hasn't even aired yet, and for all I know, it's not even a sequel to the show, but rather a condensed compilation of the events of both seasons, which in that case would make me look pretty stupid right now. But I feel I've made my point. I don't want to see the things and franchises I love to be milked for all their worth until even I can't stand them any more. The thought depresses me. It severely depresses me. I don't want to be depressed than I already am, I'm still force-feeding myself to finish Black Bullet right now.
     I don't consider myself gullible. I realize it all comes down to money in the end, and franchises that are highly profitable will almost inevitably get sequels, it's why A1 Pictures have confirmed they will continue to adapt the rest of the Sword Art Online Light Novels, however many seasons that will take. But you have to have some respect for the works you're creating right? And that's all I'm asking for. A little pride. A little respect of the works you create, J.C Staff, so that by the end of it, I will still love WIXOSS like I always have. So, I'm just going to sit here with my arms crossed, and pray for the best. Because sometimes, continuations aren't a bad thing.
     Sometimes. Goodbye for now guys.


My First Impression of Selector Infected WIXOSS is here

An anime review of  Plastic Memories is here

My latest Footnotes is here



Find Me At:
https://hummingbird.me/users/Quan  
    https://twitter.com/QuanReviews     
         Email Me At: quanqreviews@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment