Thursday, May 28, 2015

[First Impression] Cardcaptor Sakura



I realized a bit ago that I've never seen a magical girl anime. Okay, so I've seen Madoka Magica and Yuki Yuna is a Hero, but those aren't so much examples of the genre as much as they are new takes of it in a genre that is slowly but surely floating away from its candy-colored roots.
But for the sake of improving my taste, I decided it was time to witness these candy-colored roots for myself, and see where the genre got its start. Now, why did I choose Cardcaptor Sakura instead of the most popular and iconic anime of the genre: Sailor Moon? Well it's very simple actually, I've got sh*t to do, and while both anime take up unnecessarily large amounts of time, I prefer watching the 70 episodes of Cardcaptor Sakura consecutively instead of the many seasons and 100+ episodes that the Sailor Moon institution takes up.
     So, hello people of "The Wired", my name is Quan, and welcome to a brand new First Impression. Today, it's the heavily acclaimed magical-girl anime: Cardcaptor Sakura. Let's begin then.

So for those of you who are not familiar with the story, let me give you the short version. Sakura Kinomoto is a perfectly normal 4th grade school girl, and despite her mom being dead, she lives a relatively happy life with her smiling father and her prick of a highschool brother. She has a best friend: Tomoyo, a quirky rich girl heir of a successful company, and she has a playful crush on her brother's friend, even if she doesn't have a chance with him because, you know, he's like twice her age. Anyway, one day, after investigating a mysterious noise in her basement, Sakura discovers an old looking book, and upon opening it, a sudden wind comes from basically nowhere and sends many cards(that for some reason the book was holding within the pages)spiraling out of her house and scattered to the wind. Sakura is understandably confused by this, but things get even stranger when a little animal named Keroberos climbs out of the book to inform her that she has majorly screwed up. See, those cards(called the Clow Cards) contain an enormous amount of magic that could potentially drive the world to destruction, so for this reason, the wizard who created them decided to seal them away in the book way back when, and assigned Keroberos to protect them. Now that Sakura has essentially released all the cards back into the world, she must become a "Cardcaptor" and use her newly founded magical abilities to secure all the Clow Cards back into the book before they majorly screw some important crap up.
]Kroberos: protector of the Clow Cards.
The plot is simple, to say the least, which I'm perfectly okay with. I'm not watching Cardcaptor Sakura for a complex plot, I'm watching it for a very specific reason. Patience. In this era of shows where instant gratification is satisfied by things blowing up or fan-service, I wanted to watch a show slowly grow into a staple-mark of an entire genre. It's not going to be easy for me; this really isn't my kind of show. And it's going to take an enormous amount of patience, this thing is 70 episodes long after all so it's going got take me a good while to finish Cardcaptor Sakura: a couple months at least when paired with all the other anime I'm watching. But that where the value is. I'm looking forward to seeing this show slowly blossom into something great before I've even realized it, and become the classic in my head that it is to so many people. That'd be great. Goodbye for now guys.


Click here for a First Impression of Selector Infected WIXOSS.

Click here for a review of Kyoukai no Kanata.

Or here for a review of Over the Garden Wall. 



Find Me At:
https://hummingbird.me/users/Quan  
    https://twitter.com/QuanReviews     
         Email Me At: quanqreviews@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment