Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Top 50 Anime OP's Part 3


Let's not dither on shall we? Chances are, you've just come from the last part and or are already familiar with the rules of this countdown, but if not, drop by Part 1 and Part 2 of this list to get acquainted. For the rest of us however, let's move right along.

EDIT 1/27/15: 33#. Träumerei from Daybreak Illusion REPLACED.
                           42#. "Super Affection" from Carnival Phantasm REPLACED. 
                           35# - "Dead END" from Mirai Nikki REPLACED

31.# - "Aoi Shiori" from Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

 Artist(s): Galileo Galilei

The feels are strong in this one. In the art of telling a lot about the anime it is representing using images, Aoi Shiori captures the emotion, simplicity and elation of a show like Anohana. And trust me, once you get to those final few episodes, you'll love it too. 


32# - "sign" from Ano Natsu de Matteru

Artist(s): Ray, KOTOKO, Shinji Orito and Kazuya Takase

The reasons why I like this OP very much are similar to why I like Anohana's. This is probably due to the two shows being both directed by the same person, having very similar themes, and both go for a emotional slice-of-life with a memorable ending. Say what you want when comparing the two shows (anohana is better), regardless, this OP is catchy, has nice design, and a good song to boot. 


33# - "Maigoinu to Ame no Beat" from The Tatami Galaxy
Artist(s):  Asian Kung-Fu Generation

I'm not sure what I love most about this OP. It might be the gentle guitar, the enthusiastic trumpets ushering in the chorus, the soothing vocalist, or the amazingly well placed and subtle foreshadowing. Well, whatever the reason, I can safely say about this OP what I can about the anime it belongs to: that it is absolutely brilliant.

34# - "Kiri" from Ergo Proxy

Artist(s); MONORAL

It's very rare that I think that an OP is better off being sung in bad English than just plain Japanese, but this OP solves that problem by actually hiring a English artist to sing the song. And what a good one too. Admittedly, I haven't got around to watching Ergo Proxy yet, and this is one OP I basically just ran into while researching for this list, but the slow but heavy singing combined with the muddy visuals won me over in the end. It just sounds, high quality, you know? Also, supposedly, this OP reveals the biggest plot twist in the show if you know what you're looking for. I don't though, so it's all good. 


35# - "EXiSTENCE" from Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis

Artist(s): SiM


I've found in my time of watching anime that OP's tend to grow on me, but it wasn't until Shingeki no Bahamut's that I learned just much they could. Similar to my initial feeling with "Database", when I heard this OP for the first time, I wasn't all that fond of it. However, I found that as the anime itself grew more epic, this OP seemed to match the ever-growing and escalating narrative of the show. And by the end of the show when the battle for the entire universe is basically happening, I found that this OP more than matched it. And now it's one of my favorites. 



36# - "Duvet" from Serial Experiments Lain

Artist(s): Bôa

I think it was around episode 7 of Lain that I realized that I had no freakin' clue what was going on. After fleeing to another anime that required the least amount of brain power possible, I just never got back to it, which may have been different if I had this OP to come back to. For whatever reason, the version of the show I was watching didn't include the OP at the beginning, which is a shame, because it is awesome. Like Ergo Proxy's OP, this OP was also preformed by an English band, but the reason the English OP suits this show so well is the awesome lyrics, those honestly chilling visuals, the creepy as hell voice in the beginning... and that guitar. And for the record, I do fully intend to return to Lain someday. 


37# - "Yukitoki" from My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU

Artist(s): Nagi Yanagi and Katsutoshi Kitagawa


So, apologies in advance, but this is another OP that has been hit by the metaphorical copyright train, so versions are extremely hard to find, but I needed get this OP on this list one way or another. It's got higher quality animation than the actual show, a sweet and smoothing voice to go along with the song, and in a strange way, somehow depicts the satirical and pessimistic viewpoints of SNAFU. It just fits the show so well, somehow, and that is all it needs to do. 


38# - "Falling Down" from Eden of the East

Artist(s): Oasis

Smooth, elegant, and foreshadowing(ing?), the OP of Eden of the East does so many things right. The soothing vocals provided by, again, a foreign band from America somehow get it right. Eden of the East had many problems, but this OP, and even the rest of the soundtrack, help solidify my love for it anyway. Also, does anybody simply adore the use of purple in this OP? Anyone? 


39# - ""Dream Island Obsessional Park" from Paranoia Agent 
Artist(s): Susumu Hirasawa 

I've talked about the awesome metaphorical and moral inner workings of Paranoia Agent's plot before in detail, but all these factors seemed to be cranked up to 10 with the show's bizarre, unnerving, and somewhat catchy opening. I won't try to dig too deep here to understand what director Satoshi Kon was going for here, but if there is one thing that both the show and this OP are, is mind-numbing, interesting, and extremely creepy. In that case, I'd say this opening does its job. 


40# - "This Game" from No Game No Life

Artist(s): Suzuki Konomi 

I've only watched the first episode of No Game, No Life, but then again, that's enough to see this wonderful opening. I mean, just the vivid colors of purple and blue, the fast-paced speed, and the cool chorus are plenty to make a great opening. It's colorful, fits the show, and when I do resume my viewing of No Game, No Life, I'll definitely be looking forward to it.


41# "Oath Sign" from Fate/Zero

Artist(s): LiSA

Ladies and gentleman, I would like to present a miracle. Copyright has been incredibly tight around this OP in particular, which sucks for a lot of us, because this OP is brilliant. It has amazing animation, even by Fate/Zero's standards, the song is delightful and it has this pace that keeps building and building throughout the song. So, if the copyright police smash this version down as well with their batons and sledgehammers, I point you toward the actual video by the artist LiSA, which is located here

42# - "Hyadain no Jōjō Yūjō" from Nichijou

Artist(s):  Hyadain

To encapsulate the pure bundle of joy that Nichijou was as a show, the OP needed to be just as insane and fun. And I will say that I had a really hard time choosing choosing between this and the first OP, but then I see all the characters dancing together, and then my heart melts, and then I consider just rewatching the anime over again for the sake of it. 


43# - "GUNXSWORD" from Gun Sword 
Artist(s): Kōtarō Nakagawa

Gun Sword isn't very popular of an anime, which is a shame, because not only is it a pretty decent show from what I remember, it also incorporates a technique into its opening that I think really more shows should do. That is, shadowed out characters in the OP become visible the episode they are introduced, or another way of saying it, the opening changes according with the show, going from our two main character in the beginning to the entire cast by the end. And that's just cool. As for the song though, well, it certainty fits the cowboy and Wild West feel the anime goes for, and I think we can all agree that the buildup in the start of the OP is amazing. 


44# - "Tank!" from Cowboy Bebop

Artist(s): Yoko Kanno 

Seriously? Need I say more? 


45# - "unravel" from Tokyo Ghoul 

Artist(s): TK and Ling Tosite Sigure

You know, I should probably start watching more of the anime that belong to these opening that I like so much, but yes, despite having only watched the first episode thus far, the recently aired Tokyo Ghoul's opening has found a way into my list. The twisted singing, the colors at 1:03 and 1:10, and that one part with the violin all represent the dark horror anime that is Tokyo Ghoul. As for watching the thing, I'm probably reading the manga first before returning to it(and knowing me, that'll probably take a year), but when I finally do, I'll be pleasantly awaiting this OP to greet me. 


46# - "Cloud Age Symphony" from Last Exile
Artist(s): Shuntaro Okino

OK, seriously, first, before we talk about how good the song is, I'm sure you noticed how damn good the animation looks, well prepare to be straight-up awed when I tell you that this anime was made in 2003. Yeah, over a decade ago and it still more than holds up today, that is pretty impressive. But yes, the music is equally as good, suits the show, both fast and calming, and just as weightless as the airships the main characters ride in the anime. My mixed feeling about the anime itself really don't matter here. 


47# - "Shiver" from Mushishi Zoku Shou

Artist(s): Lucy Rose

I watched the first 8 or so episodes original Mushishi at a time where I really didn't know what anime was or what exactly it was capable of, and I'd like to give credit to that show to showing me that anime wasn't just shounen or action. Even in this insane medium, it's good to know we can still chill out for a moment, and have and enjoy shows like Mushishi, and songs such as these. This OP has no ups or down, or stops and starts, just a slow, calm and amazingly high quality song, played to some mind-blowing animation. And for an anime like Mushishi, or this second season that I really should see at some point, it's perfect. 


48# - "Sakura" from Eureka Seven
Artist(s): Nirgilis, Iwata Acchu and Kurihara Minoru

I knew I wanted at least one Eureka Seven opening on here, but when it came to deciding which of the four available, I become rather indecisive. "Sakura" eventually won out, because similar to what I talked about in the Code Geass OP, the opening let us know that this was the end of a long, long journey with these characters, so get ready for nostalgia and an epic finale. Well, that and the choir in the beginning is so amazing. 


49# - "Junjō Spectra" from Robotics;Notes

Artist(s): Zwei

Admittedly, perhaps the only reason I like this OP is that part at 0:58 when absolute epicness ensues, but to be fair, the rest of the song is pretty good too. Combining energetic electric guitar with a wonderful lead female singer, this OP reawakens your love of giant robots and gets you pumped for the show. Well done sirs. Of course, till they just had to replace it at the middle of the season.


50# - "hacking to the gate" from Steins;Gate

Artist(s):  Kanako Itō

Well, speaking of shows with random semi-colons in the middle of their names, I figured I'd better end this list with a good one, and I'm pretty sure "hacking to the gate", more than fulfills that requisite. Astounding and interesting visuals, English that is actually incorporated well into a Japanese song, and superb design make this OP stand out among the rest, and thank god they kept it around for the whole show. It's just good, enough said, and a wonderful thing to send off this list at the end. Have a fantastic day, and...

Goodbye for now guys.  


Click here for my anime review of Angel Beats. 

Or here for my First Impressions of both Eureka Seven and Toradora. 

For another countdown, click here for my Top Five Anime Average Joes. 

If you like games, click here for a review of Bastion. 

Follow me on Hummingbird, or on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment