Thursday, July 17, 2014

Top 10 Studio Ghibli Films

For almost three decades, Studio Ghibli has been for me, and I imagine for a lot of people, the paramount of childhood wonder and imagination. These films make up some of the very anime I ever saw, wide-eyed and drooling, staring fixedly at the wondrous images flashing in front of me, that ranged from a magical door to a funny animal standing in the rain. The works of Hayao Miyasaki, Isao Takahata, and others have all worked their way into my heart somewhere, and while some are more prominent there than others, I'll never forgot the wonder they all showed me.
     Hello everybody, my name is Quan, and today in light of the announcement of the new Ghibli film that will be coming out, I thought it was time to be back and proudly present my top ten picks of films create by the one and only Studio Ghibli. Sorry if your favorite isn't on here, like My Neighbor Totoro or Ponyo, but keep in mind this is all my opinion, and sometimes nostalgia and wonder can play a bigger part enjoyment-wise than actual quality. Also, I have yet to see Miyasaki's final film The Wind Rises, for I am saving it for a special occasion. Now with all that out of the way, let's get started. 

10. Kiki's Delivery Service
I'll be honest, when I first saw Kiki a couple of years ago, I didn't think much of it. It just seemed like a very "typical" Studio Ghibli movie, with you know, fun pacing, a colorful set of characters and an intriguing world, but all in all nothing quite special. It really dropped off my radar for a while after that, but after rediscovering it a couple of months ago, I realized that this film isn't quite as typical as I first made out it to be. I think Kiki has gotten the label of the most "kiddy" Miyasaki film out there besides from maybe My Neighbor Totoro, but the themes it portrays are actually themes of maturity and self-discovery, and now I find I look back on Kiki with a little more appreciation and respect then I did before. This makes it all the more depressing that nobody really seems to want to talk about this film in comparison to other Ghibli works, which I understand, but doesn't mean I need to like it. Kiki is still not up there in terms of story and characters as some other works by Miyasaki, but I feel like it well worth watching it at least once, just to enjoy the ride. 

9. From Up on Poppy Hill
Remember when I said I originally thought that Kiki's Delivery Service was the "typical" Ghibli film? Well, I was wrong, because From Up on Poppy Hill is basically the heart of what every Ghibli film is. But that's not exactly a criticism. Even in a very basic setting of a pre-modern day age Japanese town, Poppy Hill still manages to have all the charm and pleasantness of all the Ghibli films before it. It does this, by yes, telling a very basic love story between two high-school students, but I'm content with that all the way. It might be a story that we've seen many, many times before, but Poppy Hill tells it well enough, well enough to earn a spot on this list. While it does get a little weird around the middle, I recommenced this film to anybody who is a fan of the romance genre, if you haven't already. 
  
8. Howl's Moving Castle
A film that really earns the title: Pure Imagination. From unforgettable characters like the cursed scarecrow and the enchanted fireplace Calcifer, Howl's Moving Castle stands as one of the most imaginative movies I have ever seen, not just in anime, but really in any form of media. It's not afraid however, to bring relatively mature themes and ideas into play, but it still manages to capture the wonder and charm of Ghibli. It isn't strong in every department, but the brilliant visuals, extremely enjoyable story, and conveying emotion drive it up to number 8. 

7. Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Oh god, I get nostalgic just thinking about this film. Laputa was indeed Ghibli's first ever created film all the way back in 1986, which was almost 3 decades ago, which is currently blowing my mind. However, it is easy to see why it has withstood the tests of time. First of all, the surprisingly intense action sequences really are enough to hold the film on its own, but Laputa, much like Howl's Moving Castle, is a tale wrapped in wonder and imagination; the studio's strong suit. Pair that with a duo of likable and complex characters, and add an actually quite awesome third-act, this all equals a keeper of a movie. Music sucked though. Huh. Anyway those guardian robots are both the ultimate nostalgic trip, and pure cutesy awesomeness. This movie has been slowly fading into the background over the last few years, and it far from deserves it. Go see Laputa. Now. 

6. Spirited Away
OK, wait, put the pitchforks down and hear me out before you cut me up and send whatever remains to Belize. Yes, I understand this movie has received universal acclaim. Yes, I know that Empire Magazine put it 10# in their "The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema Films". Yes, I am aware that it won "Best Animated Picture" at the 75th Academy Awards. Now let's get something straight. I am not saying Spirited Away is bad. In fact, I really enjoy it. I just think it's completely overrated. I can't really tell you why. Maybe because the main character's parents turning into pigs scarred me as a child, but I just never got out as much as others seemed to, and I guess that's just me, but then again, this is my list, and my opinion. Now, let's talk about why, it got number 6. First of all, I love the feel of the movie. I've seen the Alice in Wonderland comparison before, but the movie seems to remind me more of an original version of a Grimm Fairy-tale, like when you go back to the first draft of Cinderella and learn that her stepsisters get their eyes picked out by birds. Regardless, it came down to this: I wanted to learn tons more about the world, but didn't really care if our main girl got out of it. And yeah, that's all I've got to say on it.

5.  Porco Rosso
In my opinion, some of Ghibli's best characters reside in this quirky tale of planes and pigs. Porco is probably one of my favorite Ghibli characters in general, with his rough attitude and endlessly quotable lines. The movie itself though, is awesomely paced, tons of fun to watch(especially during the final fight scene, which goes down as one of my favorite scenes ever), and has so much charm that it oozes from every orifice. I also really like the actually interesting back-story behind the movie, which supports the already intriguing aviator setting. And hey, we might be getting a sequel soon, so yeah, that'll be interesting. 

4. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
OK, I know I'm technically cheating here, but Nausicaä is basically considered a Ghibli movie. Yes, the film did come out before the studio's formation, but the original story and manga were both conceived by Hayao Miyasaki, and he directed this film as well. It's at least a spiritual entry to Ghibli's works, right? Yeah, anyway this one is awesome. One of the more mature stories to come out of Miyasaki, Nausicaä details a rather epic conflict that is tearing the apart, as meanwhile a toxic forest is spreading throughout the land, consuming everything. You've also got awesome fights, Nausicaä being a badass, and strong anti-war and environmental themes throughout the story, making the film awesome, powerful, and all the fun in the world. Also, I hear the manga is actually pretty damn good, so go check that out as well. 

3. The Cat Returns
I love this movie. So much. It might well be the very first exposure I ever had to anime ever(though that also could have been either Spirited Away or Laputa), so it gets high biased points for that, but seriously, the movie can hold strong on its own. Now, I was kind of hesitant to put this movie so high on the list, because arguably, Nausicaä and even Spirited Away are more better put together films, but then I see the scene with the birds, and if you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about, which just is one of the most wondrous and magical scenes I have ever witnessed, and I'm smiling here just thinking about. After that, all is basically forgiven. Plus The Baron is one of the most classiest and awesome characters that has ever been conceived, an actually interesting main character, and Ghibli magic throughout cement this movie in my top 3.  

2. Princess Mononoke
Movie - Princess Mononoke  Wallpaper
Well, time to go back to Nausicaä's awesome factor. Serious talk now though, I don't think I can shower this film with enough praise. The breath-taking visuals, the amazing battles and set-pieces, and a powerful over-arching theme make Mononoke one of my favorite anime movies of all time, even when considering things like Kara no Kyoukai and the 1# spot on this list. I think the thing I like most about it is that it's so out of left field for Ghibli, who had just finished Whisper of the Heart, nearly a polar opposite to this film. When you get down it though, it's dark, it's gritty and a spectacle to see unfold. It almost feels like a statement of Miyasaki's beliefs and morals, but seriously, what a way to convey them. 

1. Grave of the Fireflies
I don't want to go on too long, but Grave of the Fireflies, is in a way, brilliant. I mean, the message "war is bad, OK guys?" isn't exactly a original one, but I have yet to find any other piece of entertainment or media that conveys this message as simply and as powerfully as Fireflies does. So, yeah, not going to sugar-coat it, this is one of the best anime films that has ever been made, an emotional punch in the gut that shows just how much anime is capable of, and never, ever lets you forgot. Go see the movie. Bring tissues.
     Here is to 29 more years of Ghibli greatness, and all the moments to come. Goodbye for now guys.

Click here for my Angel beats review.

And here for Mirai Nikki review.


No comments:

Post a Comment