Sunday, July 6, 2014

[Reaction] Sword Art Online II, Episode 1

Haven't met this character yet, but since her real world design has a scarf, she's already awesome in my opinion.


Warning: contains spoilers for Sword Art Online and Sword Art Online II

OK, before I say anything I may come to regret in the next few weeks, I'd like to say just how low I put my
expectation for Sword Art Online II, so low that they literally could have re-aired old episodes of Sailor Moon and I probably would been fine with it. Well be that as it may, after watching the first episode yesterday, I have to say...it wasn't that bad. Now I know that doesn't seem like a huge compliment, but guys, I thought I would see a disaster of nuclear meltdown type proportions, so yeah, with that out of the way, let's get on with this reaction.

So, I think the whole 'Death Gun' mystery(imaginative name by the way) is a step in the right direction for the series. The problem with the second half of the first season...ok one of the problems with it was that it completely lost its sense of urgency. At least when they were in SAO their lives were in danger technically, but once they made the switch to ALO, that was lost, so even if Kirito did die, he would, you know, just re-spawn. Oh, the show tried to convince me that everything is on the line, what with the villain's mind control scheme or whatever, but I did find it hard to take seriously seeing that he's dressed as a butterfly and screamed like a little girl. It didn't matter anyway, since there was that whole "Kayaba-ex-machina" thing at the end which made absolutely no sense, which I could go on ranting about for awhile. But yeah, the stakes are back up for the series, and plus I'm really intrigued on how these crimes are being pulled off, making me interested just what the possibilities of this world are.

Also, I'm glad Kirito actually seems human for once. He was practically "God-kun" in the first season, being the most overpowered person in the entire series, doing absolutely no wrong, going from random level to random level solving every-bodies problems and making every girl in a 50-mile radius fall in love with him.  I mean come on, even when he finds he's been trapped in an MMO against his will by a sadistic computer-programmer and informed that he will die if his HP reaches zero...he just seems kind of cool with it, plotting out quests and cities to quickly gain his level. His reluctance to log into GGO was the most human action I've seen from him, not wanting to have to log into a third freakin' game and potentially die, leaving Asuna and Yui alone. It's not exactly huge character development, but hey, we're taking baby steps here. And speaking of character development, I really hope they don't sideline Asuna like they did in the first season. She's a freakin' badass with a sword, put her out in the GGO and let her kick some ass at the very least..

So that's my thoughts on the first episode of SAO II, and all in all, they're pretty positive, but then again, so were my thoughts on the first few episodes of season one. I guess we have to hope they don't screw this up, and make the characters interesting enough to watch, and if they do, there's no reason why this can't be a solid show. Cross your fingers and goodbye for now guys.

Follow me on Hummingbird:
http://hummingbird.me/users/QReviews

No comments:

Post a Comment